Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Entering the next round: "A Change Is Gonna Come"

In my last blog entry I wrote about Sam Cooke's song "A Change is Gonna Come".

Now, one day after the election, I found out that Seal, who is an Afro-American as is Obama, and Heidi Klum's lord and master, brought out a new single - suited to the election victory of Barack Obama, the first Afro-American president.

Seal's new song is a cover version - you will already know it if you read my blog: "A Change Is Gonna Come" - a famous song by R & B singer Sam Cooke from 1964. No one can tell me that this song is not a tribute to the new president of the United States. But it is also a protest song, which it always was.
Seal includes the third verse "I go to movies and I go downtown / Somebody keep telling me "Don't hand around", which had been left out in the Sam Cooke release from 1964. Maybe Seal used this line because he wants to make a point about Blacks still not having all the same rights. Maybe he wants to express the urge of an improvement of this unequality.
Nevertheless, today, Seal can include this verse without fearing the abolishment of his song in the radio - In 1964 Sam Cooke had to. It is great to see, that his record is released WITH the third verse of "A Change Is Gonna Come".

I have to say that Seal did an excellent job. The song is the first single from his new album that includes a lot of old smash hits - where every note has been jazzed up.


Seal - A Change Is Gonna Come

No comments: